ACCESS NetFront™ Browser NX is selected as Browser Engine for Nintendo’s Wii U Game Console
TOKYO, December 10, 2012
– ACCESS CO., LTD, a global provider of advanced software solutions to the mobile, beyond-PC and digital TV markets, today announced that Nintendo has selected NetFront™ Browser NX, a WebKit-based browser, as the browser engine for its new Wii U™ game console. NetFront Browser NX is also used in the Nintendo 3DS™, which was released in 2011.
NetFront Browser NX is a platform-independent WebKit-based browser developed and provided by ACCESS. It incorporates a unique technology that improves memory usage efficiency to ensure stable system behavior even under exceedingly low memory conditions. The browser supports the latest Web technologies, including HTML5 Canvas, web storage, web messaging and server-sent events. NetFront Browser NX has been utilized by numerous device manufacturers worldwide, including Nintendo, since its release in 2011.
ACCESS customized the basic NetFront Browser NX to function as the browser engine of the Wii U.
“We are delighted that NetFront Browser NX has been selected for the new Wii U game console, following its use in the Nintendo 3DS,” said Nobuya Murofushi, president and CEO, ACCESS. “We will support the spread of the Wii U in the global market, as well as continue helping to further energize the game market.”
The key features of NetFront Browser NX are:
- Platform independence
- HTML5 support
- Independent technology that ensures memory usage efficiency and system stability
- Flexible customization of the user interface
- Supported operating systems: Linux®, AndroidTM, UNIX, Windows® CE and others
- Compatibility: Game consoles, TVs, set top boxes, multifunction printers, car navigators, smartphones, tablets, feature phones and others.
For information about features supported by the Wii U’s Internet browser, please refer to official information provided by Nintendo.About ACCESS
ACCESS CO., LTD. is a global provider of advanced software solutions and services that enable operators, device manufacturers, content owners and consumers to make the most of today’s multi-screen, connected world. It provides software for mobiles, smartphones and tablets, connected TVs and set-top boxes in the connected home, automotive, digital publishing and networking markets. ACCESS solutions have shipped in over one billion devices around the world. Its product portfolio includes the NetFront™ Software Series and the ZebOS® network platform, providing customers faster time-to-market, flexibility and customizability; the ACCESSTM Digital Publishing Ecosystem for cloud-based, cross-platform digital publishing and the NetAd mobile advertising platform. Headquartered in Tokyo, Japan, the company is listed on the Tokyo Stock Exchange (Mothers’ Index, 4813) and operates subsidiaries and affiliates in Asia, Europe and the United States. www.access-company.com.© 2012 ACCESS CO., LTD. All rights reserved.ACCESS, the ACCESS logo, and NetFront are registered trademarks or trademarks of ACCESS CO., LTD. in the United States, Japan and/or other countries. ZebOS is either a registered trademark or trademark of IP Infusion Inc. in the United States and/or other countries. Nintendo 3DS and Wii U are trademarks of Nintendo. All other trademarks, logos and trade names mentioned in the document are the property of their respective owners.